Halloween is the start of temptations during the holiday season and surviving Halloween is possible. It’s a time of high carbohydrate treats that can turn into a nasty trick of regain or slowed weight loss. Halloween is a fun holiday that you can participate in with some foresight and planning. Sugar and simple carbohydrates are easily absorbed and can decrease weight loss or regain. The following are some helpful tips to keep you on track.
- Stay steady with high protein, hydration, vitamins and minerals. Protein and hydration will keep you full and help curb the carb cravings.
- Make you own high protein treats. There are so many great recipes out there.
- If you give out candy don’t buy candy that you like. In fact, do the opposite and buy candy you dislike.
- Don’t give out candy at all. Instead opt to do a non-candy type item, stickers, pencils, rings, trinkets, easers, small coloring books, or other small items.
- Keep a list of your goals posted in a visible place.
- Make a picture collage of your goals, achievements you want, and non-scale victories you’d like to achieve posted in a high visibility location.
Stay strong and avoid the pitfalls of temptation.
Dr. Keshishian explaining the different weight loss surgical procedures to nursing students. Including the duodenal switch before cases to a number of nursing students on a board in the operating room. Dr. Keshishian is always willing to educate and draw with a smile but not always with a bowtie!
Cindy Porcell, Surgical tech put the finishing touches on it.
In case you are wondering, surgical scrubs do not have bowties!
Vitamin A and D are fat soluble vitamins. This means that in order for them to be absorbed by the GI track, them need to be absorbed by fat globules (chylomicrons). These are then taken up by the lymphatics of the GI track and taken to the blood stream. With the anatomical changes of the Duodenal Switch, the fat absorption capacity is significantly reduced. This results in excellent weight loss. It also results in much diminished absorption of the Fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. It is essential to use Dry Water Soluble forms of Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Bio-Tech is a brand that is formulated in this manner.
The Biotech D3-50 has 50,000IU of Vitamin D.
We recommend specific dosages of dry (water soluble) Vitamin A and D. These are not available at most pharmacies. In fact when our recommendations are presented at most pharmacies they are incorrectly dispensed with the fat soluble variety with is worth less becasue it is not absorbed by the duodenal switch patients. It is also important to not that this type of vitamin should not be taken with any dietary fat. Fat can inhibit the absorption of this type of vitamin. When ordering online, please make sure that the “Dry” or “Water Soluble” formulary is ordered.