What is a basic overview of the breast augmentation procedure?
- Once anesthesia (either general or local anesthesia) has taken effect, your plastic surgeon will make an incision to create a space within your breast tissues for each breast implant.
- You will discuss your incision options with your doctor before your surgery.
- The breast implants will then be placed and positioned for optimal appearance and symmetry.
- After Dr. Keshishian compares both breasts to ensure proper implant placement, he will close the incisions—usually with stitches, or sutures, in combination with surgical tape or glue.
- You will see instant results in your breast size after your procedure, and the incision(s) will heal and fade with time.
Where is the breast augmentation surgery performed?
Breast augmentation is most frequently performed on an outpatient basis in a hospital operating room, surgery center or surgical office suite depending on the type, location and how in depth the procedure may be.
How long does the breast implant procedure take?
Cases may differ, but on average breast augmentation surgery lasts one to two hours.
What anesthesia will be used?
The type of anesthesia will depend on the location of the incision and position of the implant. General anesthesia is commonly used, but local anesthesia is an option. Each case is different and Dr. Ara Keshishian will give you his recommendation after your initial consultation.
When can I resume every day activity?
Many women are able to return to work within just a few days. But it’s best to avoid any strenuous activities that could raise your pulse and blood pressure or stretch your incisions for a couple of weeks.
For information about Breast Augmentation please click Breast Augmentation Information Sheet
Below are examples of breast augmentations performed by Dr. Ara Keshishian.
More Examples of Breast Augmentation
Click on images for larger view.