It is interesting to encounter patients who are still being recommended for Lap Band placement to treat morbid obesity. There is a vast body of scientific evidence supporting that Lap Band not only does not result in a sustained weight loss for majority of the patients, but that it results in significant long term complications for some.
One of the complications is a significant stricture (narrowing) where the band is located even when it is completely empty. This is cause by:
1- either scarring of the tissue around that band causing a “belt” effect around the stomach, or
There are numerous other complications that are associated with Adjustable Gastric Bands that encompass a wide range of areas that are not discussed in this blog. This recent article (yes another one) outlines the dismal long term outcome of the Adjustable Gastric banding- Buyer Beware.
- Stapled Anastomosis December 30, 2019
- Long Term Health Implications of PPI Use, Antacids November 19, 2019
- Copper Deficiency Intravenous Supplementation November 17, 2019
- Protein Intake October 14, 2019
- Overfed But Undernourished October 1, 2019