Exercise and it’s benefits for body, mind and weight loss can’t be over emphasized. Everyone can benefit from some form of exercise whether it be a brisk walk, chair exercises, exercise bands, aquatics, running, hiking or biking. As a family we try to exercise often and attempt to participate in at least one event a month or so. These types of events tend to keep us more accountable and motivated. The group atmosphere, energy and vibe only add to the experience. Listed below are some of our favorite exercise events. We will update this list and add to it.
- Weight loss and maintenance can be a benefit of exercise. It also improves muscle function and strength.
- Improves Type 2 Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome
- Reduces some Cancer Risk
- Improved Cardiovascular Health
- Improved “Good” cholesterol
- Strengthens and improves Bone Health
- Living longer
- Improved Sleep
Mental Health Benefits:
- Reduce Stress
- Boosts Endorphins
- Helps with Anxiety
- Improved Self Confidence
- Being in the Great Outdoors and Sunlight (increases Vitamin D)
- Prevent Cognitive Decline
- Sharpen Memory and Cognitive Function
- Help with Addiction
- Increase Relaxation
One important key note is to pay close attention to hydration with exercise, not only with fluids but electrolytes as well. Exercise increases fluid loss due to sweat and increase circulation to muscle. You need to increase fluid intake to compensate for these losses.
Exercise events by the month:
The Los Angels River Ride is one of our families favorites. Great ride for a great cause.
The Prudential 401K Run is to promote saving for retirement and is a FREE event at the beautiful Rose Bowl
The Aloha Run brings a little Hawaiian feel to the fall.
City of Hope’s Walk for Hope
Santa to the Sea (must bring a gift for a child)
Varying months depending on location:
CicLAvia a Los Angeles area quarterly biking event.
- Stapled Anastomosis December 30, 2019
- Long Term Health Implications of PPI Use, Antacids November 19, 2019
- Copper Deficiency Intravenous Supplementation November 17, 2019
- Protein Intake October 14, 2019
- Overfed But Undernourished October 1, 2019